Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Panama - Panama City, Columbia - Bogotá


Monday 17th October - Questions Answered
Today I did absolutely nothing.  Just relaxed around the hostel, sorted photos and typed up this blog.  Days like these are needed to chill out and relax.  So for today's update, I'll go over a few things like questions people have asked.  I know updates for every day, even when I do little, can be dull but I want to keep track of each day as after this is all over and in years to come when I want to read over it, I'll have everything here.  So apologies for the dull stuff.  Now to answer a few questions.

My gear - Great.  The Teva sandals I got are by far the best purchase I made for travelling.  Use them every day and perfect for trekking on hot days if the terrain isn't too rough.  If it is more challenging terrain, out come the Salomon boots.  Again perfect.  I didn't realise how waterproof they were until I had to wade across a stream.  All the rest (waterproofs, hiking trousers) are doing their job rightly.  Except my Converse which cut the feet off me.  But I've worn them in now.

Food - That's been mixed.  I'm not really a go-hunt-good-food person.  It's all functional for me.  Costa Rica was pretty standard.  Mind you the burgers in Hostel Pangea were amazing.  Panama has proved to be beans, rice and fried chicken.  Cheap, basic but very filling.  I think this could continue for a while at the prices.  Especially after Costa Rica being so expensive.

Music - where do I start?  Absolutely woeful.  Most of the hostels play horrendous reggae music.  I don't mind reggae, but this is some sort of horrible mutation that leaves your ears bleeding.  There have been a few good bars with a little better music and in Hostel Pangea we put on a music TV channel and they played Explosions In The Sky - I jumped with excitement.  And bearing in mind that my MP3 player has died a sad death, I'm at the mercy of the establishment's music.

Hostel Life - I'm loving it!  Some of the hostels have been quiet as it is the low season, but I have bumped into some cool people so far.  And ended up heading out/travelling with them.  It's the perfect way.  It took me a while to get into a routine with packing and unpacking, but have it down to military precision now.  Not everywhere has warm showers, which at the start was worrying - but how things change.  Now I crave cold showers.  In the hostel in Bocas it was warm - I wanted it cold!  It's so refreshing after being out in the humid, sticky heat.

And finally - The Honey Badger.  Mentioned him in a earlier post and forgot to add the link.  He just doesn't care - which has been pretty much our attitude to most things when it comes to decisions and what we are doing.  Check it out here (some bad language in case any kids are watching) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg

Tuesday 18th October - Prison Break
Time to leave Bocas del Toro and head to Panama City.  It's a long day travelling.  Emily has left our little troupe as she's off back to Costa Rica, so it's me, Jason and Dirk.  We make our way from Bastimentos to Almirante on boat to get the bus.  One of the girls who worked in the hostel is on our boat and thankfully helps us get a taxi from the harbour to the bus station via an ATM.  Almirante isn't really the best place in the world so having someone help us out was prefect.  We get to the bus station early - four hours early!  And there's nothing to help us kill time except the prison cell cafe beside it - ironically called Amistad.  I would have taken a photo but didn't want to risk taking out my camera.  It really was that bad.  But after an incident free wait, we get on the bus.  The longest journey so far.  It's an overnight bus, but I didn't sleep at all, maybe an hour here and there.  We finally arrive in Panama City and straight to the hostel - Luna's Castle in the Casco Viejo area.  It's 5.30 a.m. and I'm brain dead.

Time to crash on the sofas and wait for check in at 8 a.m.

Wednesday 19th October - Pasitos en Accion
After very little sleep, get up at 8 a.m. to check in.  When I wake up, stroll over to the balcony to a very unexpected view.  When we arrived in the middle of the night it was still dark.  Now in the morning light, across the bay is a Manhattan skyline.  Not what I expected of Panama City at all.  After a cold shower to wake me up, we head out to explore the city.  Take a walk around Casco Viejo - the old quarter - and come across what looks like a military or police band playing by the waterfront.  Then decide to head over to get amongst the skyscrapers.  After a 45 minute walk, need food.  I should have known better than to buy in the downtown area, but decided to get a Quizo Sub (kind of like Subway) and it stings me almost $10.  Dirk found a hot dog for $0.75 earlier.  Lesson learned.


After a taxi ride back to the hostel, it's time to chill out and have a beer In the garden area where we meet three girls from Montreal, Canada, who are eager to play guitar - Johanna Joseph, Layal Turk and Jennipher Carreiro.  Excellent.  A bit of a session.  Something I haven't had in a long time.  The girls know Spanish songs so, curious as to why, I ask them.  They explain that they wanted to learn Spanish after being in Nicaragua in January and did it through learning and translating songs, watching Spanish films and hunting out Latinos to talk to in Montreal.  Their Spanish is great.  Think I have found a new way to hopefully improve my Spanish, which is pretty woeful - still.  I manage my only song on the guitar that anyone else knows - Britney's 'Hit Me Baby One More Time' - really have to increase my catalogue.

After a food break and while waiting for Happy Hour to start ($0.50 drinks are always a good thing), I introduce everyone to Crusher - we're using a bottle of rum!  So much fun.  Then we hit Happy Hour in the hostel bar.  Even though we are all a bit exhausted we end up having a brilliant night.  It's the best hostel bar so far.

As with most people you meet, the conversation usually involves, 'Where have you been?  Where are you heading next?'.  It's great for getting suggestions and finding people to travel with.  But when talking to Johanna I get an unexpected and amazing answer.  In January 2011 they went volunteering in Nicaragua, and after getting back to Canada decided they wanted to do more to help out the people there.  So they have now set up an NGO (non-governmental organisation) called Pasitos en Accion (Steps in Action) and are en route back to Santo Tomas del Norte to help the community of Los Jobitos in Nicaragua.  The charity has three sustainability and development projects: Water Sanitation, Education (school supplies and scholarships) and a Micro Financing Grain Project. Pretty impressive.  They are doing this with three other people, Janessa Culliford, Nicole Zaki and Lili Changizi.  I have to say that of all the people I have met so far, these guys have impressed me the most.  While I'm gallivanting around the globe hunting out volcanoes, other people are actually giving something back.  It has made me think more about putting effort into finding some volunteering work while I'm on my trip.

Thursday 20th October - Camden Lock
After so little sleep the previous night, and after getting to bed early (ish), a long lie in was definitely needed.  I just forgot to tell the renovators working in the room next to me.  When I woke up I couldn't work out if the pounding in my head was from the game of Crusher the night before or the elephants that were being thrown about in the next room.  Bleary-eyed and exhausted, it's time for the make-your-own breakfast in the hostel.  They provide the raw materials for pancakes.  You do the rest.  All easy enough - if you remember to turn on the hob rings that is.  Not something I can manage this morning, but it's edible.

Being in Panama City I have to go and see the world famous Panama Canal.  Upon arrival, we all made our way to the viewing gallery and see, well, a boat in a canal - accompanied by a running commentary of every trickle of water that flowed between the locks.  There was a movie that you could watch if you paid and extra $3, but I was so underwhelmed I didn't even care that I wouldn't get to see it.  There was a very bizarre gift shop selling surreal Panama Canal trinkets.  The only surprising facts I took away from it all were how narrow it was and how enormous the ship was.  Other than that, may as well have been at Camden Lock - at least there I could have sat and had a beer in The Constitution while listing to some open-mic folk songs.


So it's back to the hostel to get ready for a big night out - Jason leaves us tomorrow.  Last night we were talking about how long Jason, Dirk and I had been travelling together and were astonished to discover it was just over a week.  Felt like almost a month - and that's for all the right reasons.  We did so much and had such a good laugh.  So as Jason leaves the troupe tomorrow a night out was required - and what a night it was.

Joined by Johanna, Layal and Jennifer, we hit Happy Hour again and then head to a salsa club - thwarted - private party.  So after being led through the streets by a very helpful local to check out a few bars, we decide the hostel bar is best - and it really is.  It's open to all, not just hostel dwellers, and it's the busiest bar we saw.  One of the best night's so far which ends in the very wee hours after being ferried around the hostel by an over zealous bouncer.

Tomorrow we head to the Bahá'í House of Worship.

Friday 21st October - Bahá'í
Thanks to a wake up call, I just about get up to see Jason before he leaves.  It was a big night.  After struggling through another almost disastrous episode of pancake making, we get the taxi to the Bahá'í House of Worship.

The Bahá'í religion is one I had never heard of until Layal invited us along with them to the  House of Worship in Panama City.  There are only seven of these around the world and after hearing about the religion it sounded very interesting.  This is probably an over simplified explanation, but the Bahá'í religion aims to encompass all religions, believing that all religions believe in the same god, and that through the Bahá'í religion everyone can be united.  There are no priests/preachers as such.  Everyone is equal - man, woman, race, cast, nationality.  I'm not a religious person, but to me that sounds just about right.

The House of Worship is on the top of a hill overlooking Panama City.  When we reach it, the whole area is so peaceful and serene.  We are the only visitors.  The noise of the city below has disappeared.  It's the perfect location.  There are immaculate gardens surrounding the central building.  Walking along the footpath around the central dome there are amazing views across the mountains and down into the freeways and the city.  You can see the city, but it seems a million miles away.  It's somewhere you could sit for five minutes and discover an hour had passed.  There are two woman tending to the inside of the building.  The girls talk to them in Spanish, but I forget to get the details of what they spoke about.  We then watch a video about the history of Bahá'í.  After, it's time to get the taxi, leaving behind the tranquillity and once again - and all too quickly - back into the cacophony of the city.




Once back at the hostel, the tiredness of the late nights catch up with everyone.  After attempting to watch A Clockwork Orange (I forgot how long that film was, had to give up in the end, far too much concentration required) we get treated to dinner made by the girls - the most filling food I have ever eaten (can't remember the name of the dish).

Tomorrow I fly to Bogota, Columbia.  It's my last night travelling with Dirk, and also will be leaving the girls behind as they head in the opposite direction to Bocas del Toro.  I'll be on my own once more as I make my way south to discover the wonders of South America and hunt out a few more volcanoes.  Over a few final drinks with everyone, I wonder if I have I peaked too early with the people I've met.

Saturday 22nd October - Bogotá Bound
I hate travel days.  That's becoming clear.  And this is the first flight I've had to get since I landed at San Jose.  It's ironic how the worst part about travelling is the actually travelling.  So after saying goodbye to the girls (I'll hopefully see them in Montreal some day, Canada is very high on my list of destinations to visit in the next few years) and after almost missing my taxi, and parting ways with Dirk to finally break up the troupe, I head to the airport.  I'm really hoping to bump into Jason and Dirk again on my trip as they are heading to the same areas.

AT the airport, I get checked in.  All good.  Then I go to get through security and hand over my passport.  The guard, who is carrying a gun, ushers me to one side.  Studies my passport intently.  While other passengers are allowed to stroll on passed, he picks up his radio, says something in Spanish followed by, 'Mark Daniel Graham'.  'M. A. R. K. D. A....' and so on until he has spelt out my full name and given my date of birth to whoever is on the other end.  Other passengers still stream by.  Lots of conversation now commences while he looks at me, looks at passport, talks more, then silence.  I don't know where to look.  I don't know what's going on.  Eventually after another few blasts of Spanish over the radio, he studies my boarding pass, laughs, turns to his colleague, says something, laughs, she laughs and he lets me through.  Am I the brunt of some international immigration joke?

Rest of journey is painless.  Somehow end up at Platypus Hostel.  It's too quiet and noisy at the same time and I don't like it.  The walls are paper thin.  When someone talks in another room, you swear they are in your room.  When someone walks it's like someone herding cattle in the room above.  Will be moving to Hostel La Pinta tomorrow on Ravi's recommendation.  It's sounds much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment