Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Ecuador - Cotopaxi To Banos


Friday 4th November –Volcán Pasochoa
I must be acclimatizing a bit because I managed to get a much better sleep last night.  Mind you that was probably more to do with the fact that I was completely exhausted after all the climbing, jumping and mountain biking.  And today it was time for another six hour trek to Volcán Pasochoa.  Again the altitude affects us all, and we need loads of stops to get to the top.  But the walk is spectacular.  At times when we stop and sit down for a much needed rest, I think to myself, ‘Ok, I’m trekking through The Andes.  How did this happen?’  It really is a pinch yourself moment.  There are mountains all around with amazing views into the valleys.  At times the trail under our feet is made from volcanic ash and in the areas cut for the road you can see the layers which I assume are from the different eruptions, but I could be wrong. The closer we get to the crater, the steeper it gets.  But as we are approaching, it is pretty clear that it’s not clear.  There’s a bit cloud overflowing from the crater and sure enough when we get to the top and peer in we can see nothing.  Apparently inside the crater is a forest and the crater is huge.  But I’m not too disappointed that this time the weather has not worked in our favour as the walk was great.  As we begin our trek back, Chris, our guide asks if want to take a detour and attempt to find a large waterfall.  Being an adventurous bunch we all say yes, not quite expecting what happens.

Once we leave the trail it starts easy enough but soon we are in amongst trees and only following the noise of the cascading water and creating the trail as we go.  Eventually we find a stream and start to follow that down, which leads us to the base of the waterfall. Exhausted I sit while the others venture more.  I wish I had gone with them.  I though there wouldn’t be much more to see, but apparently they found caves and walks under the waterfall.  Ah well, I’ll know for next time not to miss out.  Then to get back to the hostel all we need to do is follow the river.  Which works pretty well for about 20 metres until we come across a large waterfall that there is no hope of descending.  Time to start creating our own trail again.  But with more difficulty.  David trail blazes.  We aren’t even on solid ground anymore.  We are literally climbing through trees, using tangled branches and moss as foot holds.  Too many times when I grabbed a branch to haul myself up it crumbled in my hand.  Daylight can’t even be seen anymore.  But finally a shout from David means we can escape.  It was getting a bit hairy, but the relief at the sunlight was worth it.  Then we found ourselves at the waterfall we did the jump from yesterday.  No jumping today though.  Once was enough.




After getting back to the hostel, Lauren, David, Elisha and I get fed and jump in a taxi/jeep to Machachi to get on a bus to Banos.  The taxi stops, changes driver and we pick up a guy and some woman with a baby.  Not uncommon in Ecuador it seems as this has happened before.  After setting off again, all is going well until the driver begins to get agitated as there’s a police checkpoint ahead.  What’s going to happen here?  After showing ID the driver is taken from our jeep and photographed.  The jeep is photographed.  He spends a lot of time discussing matters with the police before handing over a bribe so we can get on our way.  The guy that jumped in the back earlier has disappeared.  Apparently he legged it across a field as soon as he spotted the police too.  Just another day travelling in South America.  We finally reach Machachi and have to flag a bus as we stand on the side of the Pan-American Highway.
After a three hour bus ride, we reach Banos.  I like it immediately.  It seems really chilled and we have arrived on a weekend when all the locals are on holiday too.  There is a great atmosphere about the town with bands playing in the square and lots of kids riding on a road train around the town.  After checking into Plantas y Blanco we head out for a bite to eat and at really nice Italian place.

Canyoning – abseiling down waterfalls - booked for early tomorrow.  Going be yet another challenge for my fear of heights.  Maybe it won’t exist any more?

Saturday 5th November – Canyoning
Another new activity ticked off the list.  It was both a little scarier than I expected but also a bit easier.  After getting kitted up in our wet suits and canyoning trainers we were taken to the first waterfall where we had to get our harnesses put on.  My fear started to kick in at that point and when I noticed that one of my straps was broken and would not click in properly, I asked for it to be changed.  They laughed and said it was fine.  I panicked and said it was not fine.  Thankfully Elisha was on hand to help out.  She trains abseiling, so we found another harness and she helped me get it on right.  Now feeling a little more confident we head to the first waterfall.  It’s about 8 m high.  There are about 15 people in the group and the instructor starts explaining in Spanish how we do it.  At this point I’m starting to feel very under prepared and in big trouble.  But Lauren, who claimed to only have a little bit of Spanish, starts to translate for me.  Thank god!  Being a little apprehensive about it all I hang back as long as possible, but eventually it’s my turn.  Lauren was as afraid as me and went before me.  So once I saw her at the bottom and happy my panic eased.  David gave me loads of instructions - he used to do abseiling too.  I’m definitely the novice in our travelling group.  Everyone has something to offer.  All I have is panic and too many questions.  But I did it!  It was much easier than I expected - except for whacking my knee at the very end after swinging out too far and losing all my coordination.  The next waterfall was just going down like a slide while attached to a rope.  Then the final one was a different experience altogether.  After abseiling down about two metres, we were then attached to a rope and no more abseiling.  We had to clamber off the side of a ledge and get dropped 30 m.  This brought back memories of the Tarzan Swing when doing the zip lining in Costa Rica.  And the same absolute terror kicked in.  But it was brilliant.  I think the instructor dropped me down a little slower than the others as he knew I was terrified.  So my fear of heights is still there, but now not stopping me.  A big improvement.

After strolling around Banos, we went out that evening to the Swiss Bistro.  Amazing food.  And then hit the bars of Banos for an evening with the partying locals.  It’s hard to choose a bar, but not in a good way.  It’s a lot of loud, bad music.  But eventually find a rock bar closely followed by The Leprechaun Bar.  The least Irish looking Irish bar I have ever been in.  But it had a big fire out the back so we could chill and get ready for some dancing – at which point all music stops and we are ushered out.  That plan didn’t go too well.  But a lot of fun was had after another adrenalin rush day.

Sunday 6th November – Decision Made
Sadly Lauren and David left today for Lima.  But if plans work out right, I’ll hopefully see them at some stage again in South America.  There’s talk of Christmas/New Year in Buenos Aires! 
Another Sunday in Ecuador – but thankfully Banos didn’t shut down as much as Quito.  Today after doing a few calculations and being convinced by a few people, including Elisha, that not going to the Galapagos would be something I’d regret forever, I have decided that it’s a must-do trip.  Now it’s time to get back to Quito and book a boat.  It’s going to be some experience.  A place I have wanted to visit all my life and it’s finally going to happen – I hope.

Monday 7th November – Back To Quito
On the bus back to Quito Elisha and I decide that to improve our Spanish we are only allowed to speak to each other in Spanish on the bus – a three hour journey.  This doesn’t work so good.  Elisha - being very dedicated and determined - insists I recount a story from Bogotá completely in Spanish.  After taking 15 minutes to say one sentence my brain begins to implode.  The two Ecuadorian guys sitting opposite us can’t stop laughing.  I tried, that’s a start.  I may have failed but at least I tried.

After an interesting music selection on the bus which ranged from local traditional music to Ace of Base, 2Unlimited and Vanilla Ice, we eventually get back to The Secret Garden hostel.  Right away I bump into Richie who I met in Panama City.  Himself and Dee are here to get to the Galapagos too but will be leaving before myself and Elisha can.  Then bump into Rich who we trekked with in Cotopaxi.  He’s getting his Cotopaxi climb sorted.  I’m jealous, but still think I can’t make it up.  It’s something I’m putting on my list of things to do on my next trip to South America – whenever that may be.

Tuesday 8th November – Galapagos Booked
Today, Elisha and I headed into the centre of Quito to get a last minute deal on a boat for the Galapagos – and we got it on a boat called the Valkiria.  It looks like we are also going to be joined by William who we have been bumping into in Quito and Cotopaxi hostels. 

Wednesday 9th November – Leigh’s Birthday Drinks
Although I’m very excited about the Galapagos trip, it’s really started to frustrate me about how I have to pay.  After several trips to ATMs and then being told I could pay by card with a 10% charge (no thank you!) I’m now being told I have to transfer money from my account.  This is all starting to sound a little bit dodgy and right now if I get on the boat at all I’ll be amazed.  But I’ve bitten the bullet and transferred the money.  Now it’s time to cross every extremity and hope I have a place on the boat.

It was Leigh’s birthday today, one of the guys working at The Secret Garden, so after a few birthday drinks at the hostel, we all headed over to the Mariscal area for a night out.  The first bar we hit was full of Gringos, so we quickly ditched that to try to find a salsa bar.  But for some reason as soon as we walked into each bar they would change the music from local salsa to rubbish Gringo music.  Once we managed to convince a bar to keep to the local music, we ended up having a great night.  Some of the guys we were out with could salsa to a level that was amazing to watch.  Obviously I stood away from this as all I could do was step on people’s toes.  Elisha attempted to give me a quick lesson.  It was a disaster and the teacher wasn’t to blame.

Hostel life always throws up its little surprises.  After we got back from the bar at 3 a.m. I was met by Elisha and Ellen coming out of our dorm laughing.  It was pretty clear why when I went in.  Someone was sleeping in my bed.  Feeling like of the Three Bears and being a little bit the worse for wear and confused I had to investigate why this was and asked the girl why she had decided to use my bed.  She seemed as perplexed as me.  But it turned out the security guard had let her in and pointed her in the direction of the nearest free bed.  He obviously failed miserably in his mission as my bed was quite clearly not free.  I was able to jump into a spare bed in the dorm.  Will sort this mix up out in the morning.

Thursday 10th November – Finally – Galapagos Tickets
After getting a haircut (trust me this was a more scary experience than it sounds as I had to ask in Spanish for what I wanted – and so far I have pretty much never got what I asked for on my first ask), Elisha and I went to our tour agent and finally got our tickets for our Galapagos trip in our hands.  A huge relief.

In the evening Rich came back from his Cotopaxi climb.  He made it to the top but said it was a very tough climb.  But he made it which was amazing.  Still really jealous of all these people doing it.  There are volcanoes in Peru that I’ll definitely will have to attempt now.  I need to be able to say I achieved one of the major climbs by the time my trip is over.

Now – time to pack for the Galapagos Islands.  Cannot believe I’m actually saying that.  The excitement just keeps growing.

No comments:

Post a Comment