Saturday, June 2, 2012

Indonesia - The Komodo Dragon/Flores Boat Tour


Tuesday 1st May – Komodo/Flores Boat Trip – Day 1
Up at 6 a.m. and ready at the pier for the boat at 7 a.m.  Except where’s the boat.  Thankfully a local spotted me and pointed me to the ’correct’ pier which was just the beach 100m away.  Got the boat to Bangsal on Lombok where two guys shouted ‘Perama Bus’.  Perama usually send someone from the company to meet you when you change bus or boat, so I handed over my bag and followed them, only to quickly realise they were scammers and going to charge me to take my bags 200m down the road.  I grabbed my bag and ticket back and told them as politely as possible where to go.  Then shouted at them.  It’s just frustrating.  So many people in Indonesia are genuinely helpful, but others aren’t  It’s so hard to work out the good from the bad.

Once the bus came it took us to Senggigi where we started the tour proper.  This was not the tour I was expecting.  We had a guide on the bus who gave us loads of information as we drove along.  We made a quick stop in Mataram, the capital city of Lombok, to pick up the rest of the passengers and buy some supplies.  Not an easy process for me.  I went into a shop, pointed at what I wanted and the guy refused to sell it to me.  Baffled I explained again and this time he told me to leave and go to the shop next door where finally I got served.  That guy was worse than all the passport officials.

Back on the bus again we next stopped at a small village, Masbagik, which is famous for its traditional pottery making.  We watched an elderly woman make a large bowl in a matter of minutes.  It was very impressive.  In the village only the woman make the pottery and it’s a skill passed down from generation to generation.  At one time a New Zealand company seeing how they made the pottery – spinning the base wheel with their toe - shipped over the mechanical pottery wheels.  They were quickly ditched by the locals as useless and they went back to the fully manual method.  The shops nearby had some amazing pieces, but unfortunately there was no way I could buy anything – how would I get it home?



Finally it was time to get the boat.  We went to Labuan Lombok, en route stopping off for some banana fritters at the Perama Office before boarding.  Here we were introduced to all the crew and got to meet the other tour members.  I had booked a cabin.  There was the option to sleep on the deck each night, but not knowing what that would be like I opted for the cabin.  In hindsight the cheaper deck option would have been fine.  But the cabin was great.  Efficiently designed when it came to space that’s for sure, but I get a free basket everyday with snakes and a Bintang beer.



After lunch on board we set sail for our first island – Perama Resort.  It was a two hour trip before we hopped in the small speedboat that transported us onto the beach.  The first activity was snorkelling.  I saw so many colourful fish and the water was crystal clear.  After we were told about what Perama was doing on the island.  They are trying to help the regrowth of the coral and we helped out by grabbing a piece of coral each, swimming out to the reef and planting it.  It felt good to help out with the regeneration project.


A beach volleyball net was set up so myself and a few others passed the time playing.  It was my first time ever to play.  I wasn’t exactly the best player as I never saw the ball until it was about to hit my face but it was a lot of fun.  Then I sat down and relaxed with a few beers along with Karal, Omar, Graham and Ole.  Graham filled me in on a very interesting story.  In March 2011 a Perama boat sank on this very tour while trying to dock in Komodo in bad weather.  Everyone survived but the boat didn’t.  The reason I booked Perama was because they seemed like the most professional company.  Hopefully they have learnt from their mistakes.

After we had dinner on the beach, a campfire was lit and guitars played for a few hours before it was time for us to learn the Indonesian form of line dancing called the Poco-Poco.  It was weird but fun.


Exhausted after a long day travelling we made our way back to the boat, I whacked my head to the extent that I almost passed out and decided it was time for bed.  We will be sailing through the night to our next island – Satonda.

Wednesday 2nd May – Komodo/Flores Boat Trip – Day 2
It was an uneasy sleep last night.  I woke up so many times because of the rocking of the boat but at least there was no feeling of seasickness.  At about 6 a.m. I was woken permanently by a girl in the room next to me screaming.  I had no idea what had happened but later found out that it was because she had seen a mouse in her room.  Could be worse I suppose.  A mouse I can handle – rats are a different story.

At 9 a.m. after breakfast we went onto the island of Satonda and made our way to a natural salt lake.  It was a beautiful setting nestled in between several rock faces.  The water was surprising warm and refreshing and because it was salty, easy to float and relax in.  After a swim I sat by the rocks close to the shore and within a few minutes was surrounded by tiny black fish biting me.  These are little fish that eat the dead skin on your body.  It’s a very weird sensation – kind of feels like getting tickled but sometimes they bite a little harder and it feels like a nip.  A really cool experience.


After snorkelling and relaxing on the beach we headed back to the boat for lunch and started sailing for seven hours to our next island, Kilo.  This was a strange stop.  We were supposed to snorkel on Dongoo Beach, but when we got on the island a crowd of locals approached our guide and after a discussion we all just sat on the beach wondering what was going on.  No snorkelling happened and after we all watched the sunset we made our way back to the boat.

After dinner I spoke with Jenny and Oli who live in Singapore.  Jenny is originally from Cookstown which is very close to my hometown in Ireland (I thought she was Scottish!).  I asked them lots of details about Singapore as although my final flight home is from there I’m undecided as to whether I want to spend any time there.  From what Jenny and Oli say it sounds like a very intriguing place and something to experience if just for a few days.  But very expensive.



We sail through the night to Komodo Island and hopefully see what is sure to be the highlight of the whole tour – the infamous Komodo Dragons!

Thursday 3rd May – Komodo/Flores Boat Trip – Day 3
After going to bed last night at 10 p.m. I woke at 1.30 a.m. and noticed that the boat was not moving.  Curious I got up and took a walk out onto the deck to find the captain relaxing.  I looked around and spotted we were docked in a harbour.  I asked, ‘Are we at Komodo already?’  He replied, ‘No. We are having engine problems but don’t worry we will be moving soon again’.  As a result we would be arriving at Komodo Island about two hours late which gave me a chance to have a lie in.  Later I was to discover that ‘engine problems’ was actually an engine fire when an oil pipe broke.  I’m starting to wonder if Perama have actually learnt anything from their sinking boat experience.

With the delayed start we made our way onto Komodo Island at 10 a.m.  I was excited – very excited.  I have seen them so often on natural history documentaries and now I was going to see them in the flesh.  Walking towards the entrance of the national park it felt like we were about to enter Jurassic Park.  We were given a briefing by the two rangers who would walk us around the island.  The dragons are not too dangerous as long as you respect the rules.  The last tourist was killed in 1975.  But only a few years ago a young boy in a village was attacked by one.  Komodo Dragons do not kill when they attack.  They bite and then leave.  But the bacteria in their mouth causes the flesh to rot and they return a few days later to eat the dead flesh.  The little boy died.  They was nothing they could do to stop the bacteria.  Amelie, a Canadian girl on the tour, knew a lot about the dragons as that is the area she studied in at university.  She was telling me that it has been known for Komodo Dragons to reproduce without mating.  If there is no male a female will create eggs that hatch live mail offspring.  These creatures really are a marvel.

It wasn’t long before we came face-to-face with them.  After only walking for five minutes we saw three about 10m metres away basking in the sun.  The guides approached with care and one stood up and walked away, another stood up and eyed us with interest while sticking out its tongue to smell us.  It was an incredible sight.  They are huge.  The largest of all monitor lizards.  On the island they eat deer and water buffalo.  As wd walked further along we came across a deer.  I could only think that his days were numbered.




After walking for one and half hours we approached the end of the trail and another dragon was waiting for us.  This time we were able to get much closer.  As I crouched down behind it for a photograph every muscle in my body was tensed and ready to jump and run if it so much as flinched.  Thankfully it didn’t.  Seeing these was a moment I will not forget.  It was like seeing a living dinosaur.  Maybe the idea of Jurassic Park is not as hair brained as Dr. Alan Grant and Dr. Ian Malcolm think.  More investigation is definitely needed there I think.



Once back on the boat we headed to Red Beach for the best snorkelling of the whole trip so far.  The water was much colder but the fish more plentiful and spectacular.  While sitting on the beach I spotted that Graham and Ole were investigating a fish in the shallow water,  It turned out to be a stone fish.  If you get stung by this you have six hours to get medical treatment or it’s all over for you.  It’s a good job Ole spotted it so we knew to stay clear of the area.  It was then time to set sail for Labuan Bajo on Flores.


My plan all along had been to jump off the boat at Labuan Bajo and cisit a crater on the island of Flores which has three multi-coloured lakes.  While approaching Flores I read a little more about this in The Lonely Planet and realised it was 15-hiour journey there, a 6-hour trek and finally a 15-hour journey back.  A lot of effort for a small reward.  Once we docked at Labuan Bajo I got off the boat and went in search of accommodation.  I looked for about 30 minutes and after finding nowhere decent (too horrible for the price or too expensive) I went straight to Perama office in the town and booked myself back on the boat for the two-day return journey to Lombok.

Back to the boat it was for me.  Some of the group did stay on Flores and new guests joined us.  After dinner we had a few drinks and while talking to Karel and Omar I looked over their shoulder to look at the boat we were docked beside – it was only about half a metre from our boat – and I asked, ‘What are they?’  Cockroaches!  More than I have ever seen.  Huge and swarming all over the other boat.  As we watched them some jumped onto our boat but we knocked them off.  But they kept coming.  Finally the crew spotted it and within minutes the engines were on, the anchor raised and we moved as quick as we could away from the infested boat.  I have to say great work by the crew to move so swiftly otherwise we could have a serious problem over the next two days.

I was really glad of my decision to get back on the boat. All the guys on the boat are good fun and making the whole trip a great experience.  The end of the night involved a few drinks, more guitar by the crew members before heading to bed.  The boat will stay in the harbour tonight so I am hoping for a good sleep before we sail at 5.30 a.m. for Rinca Island to see more Komodo Dragons.

Friday 4th May – Komodo/Flores Boat Trip – Day 4
We reached Rinca Island at 7 a.m. and made our way on to go on the hunt for more Komodo Dragons.  We weren’t so lucky this time and on the trek only managed to see a couple of water buffalo having a bath in mud pools.  As we stood there and watched them I felt that we were Peeping Toms and they looked like they were embarrassed having been caught in the bath.  The trek lasted about one hour and at the very end we finally saw more dragons.  I was glad we did as it would have been very disappointing for the new members of the group who did not see them yesterday.



Next it was off for more snorkelling at Gili Laba.  As we made our way there on the boat I sat and talked to Janet, from New York but now living in Sanur in Bali, about music.  I love meeting people with a passionate interested in music and having a detailed conversation.  We talked about our favourite bands, gigs, festivals.  And our worst and most hated. 

Once we reached the island I was more interested in climbing up the mountain behind us than the snorkelling.  Myself and Joel did the climb not knowing what we would see.  It was further than we thought to the top but only took about 15 minutes.  What we saw over the other side was, to say the least, unexpected.  Dinosaurs – lots of them.  A pterodactyl swooped down on an Apatosaurus as a herd velociraptors attacked a stegosaurus.  All this frantic activity took place in a beautiful bay with a white sand beach by a shaded blue sea.  We wanted to stay longer but fearing they might attack and also because our boat was about to leave we hurried down again.  On the boat we prepared ourselves for the long journey to Moyo Island.  This sailing would take the rest of the day and night.



After I had a shower and wandered back up to the deck I thought there had been a mutiny.  The boat was deserted!  Everyone had crashed.  After sitting by myself for a little while Amelie appeared also wondering where everyone was.  We sat and talked about everything.  With her being a French-Canadian and me interested to know the history we talked about that for a long time.  Then an in-depth discussion about environmental politics.  Thankfully we both sat on the same side of the fence on the topic.  Amelie has a lot of educated knowledge in this area and I learnt a lot from her.

In the evening Amelie, Joel, Omar, Karel and I passed the long voyage by having a few Bintang and playing Shithead into the night.

Saturday 5th May – Komodo/Flores Boat Trip – Day 5
Our final day on the boat.  The morning activity was on Moyo Island.  We walked for 30 minutes to reach a waterfall with a swimming hole at the bottom.  All along the way, from stepping onto the harbour until we reached the waterfall, we had a welcoming committee of local kids.  They are so friendly and cute, waving all the time and shouting ‘Hello Mister!  Hello Mister’.


Once at the waterfall it was time for a swim.,  A rope swing was at the top of the waterfall to swing out and plunge in.  I gave this a miss while Karel, Omar and Joel did their best Tarzan impressions.  I did jump off the four metre high rock wall though.  After hitting the water and making my way to the other side, Karel and Omar immediately asked, ‘Did you hit the rocks?  Did you hit the bottom?  We did!  It hurt’  I wish they had told me that before I jumped.  I was ok though and got out unharmed.


The party kicked off when we got back on the boat.  It would be our last sailing as we made our way back to our starting point of Labuan Lombok.  Everyone was in a hyper mood.  Karel and Omar scaled the heights of the mast to jump into the water.  Yesterday I was only brave enough to do it from a little way up the mast.  Then all the crew climbed the mast and started dancing.  They were soon joined by Janet while Amelie and I sat on the ship’s bow with the rest of the crew singing and playing guitar.  This went on for about one hour and was a great way to end the trip.



For the final activity of the whole tour we sailed to the very small island of Keramat.  After a brief snorkel, Janet, Amelie and I walked around the island.  It was going to be a long and thirsty trek and we made sure we took supplies in case we ran into trouble.  Not having a compass was a worry but we decided that the risk was worth it.  On the way we found sand dollars.  I had never seen these before – very pretty shells with star shapes on them.  We also saw countless hermit crabs darting across the sand at breakneck speed.  They looked more like flies than crabs as they were so tiny.  We survived the trek and after an arduous four minutes reached the point we had started from.  We all patted ourselves on the back having managed to circumnavigate the island’s rugged coastline.


As we approached Lombok, Rinjani was in full view.  As I stared at it I wondered how I ever managed to climb it.  It is huge and the standout landmark on the whole island.  I had an overwhelming sense of self pride.  I think I’m allowed that – it is the second highest peak in Indonesia.


When we reached Labuan Lombok we all transferred from the boat to a bus and were transported back to Senggigi reaching the town at 10 p.m.  After checking into Roy’s Hotel, Joel, Karel, Omar, Amelie and I went to a bar close by called Marina for a few drinks.  Needing money I walked to the ATM.  As I approached the ATM machine the town was plunged into blackness – the electricity had gone out and I had no money on me.  I turned on my heels to make my way back to the bar along the dark footpath.  At one point I took a step and noticed something out of the corner of my eye.  A gaping hole in the footpath about one metre deep!  Just as I was about to fall in I managed to quickly side step and skip over it – my heart pounding.  This was followed by three similar holes.  Indonesia is worse than San Jose in Costa Rica when it comes to holes in the road and darkened streets just add to the danger.  Eventually the electricity came back and I got my money. 

We all left the bar at about 3 a.m. and I went to bed not knowing what my next move would be.  Stay in Senggigi for a night?  Go back to Bali tomorrow?  I’ll decide in the morning.

Sunday 6th May – Back To Bali It Is
As I woke at 8 a.m. I decided I would make my way back to Bali today.  I needed to get there anyway and getting the journey over with as soon as possible was the best idea.  I went for the breakfast included with the room.  I sat at a table and quickly moved before the ants occupying it whisked me away to wherever they were busy trying to get to and dissected me for dinner.  The supplied breakfast was as ever disappointing.  I’m not sure why in Indonesia the task of making toast seems to be a little beyond their capabilities.  This toastie was just a shade above warm bread and somehow the guy seemed to have forgotten that the idea of a toastie is that it contains some sort of filling other than air.

I headed to the Perama Office and booked the bus/boat back to Bali.  On the trip I was joined by Janet, Amelie, Karel and Omar.  The journey was painless enough.;  We played cards on the boat and I swapped my Marching Powder book for the life story of Pablo Escobar.  A story I’ve always wanted to read especially since hearing and seeing so much about him during my time in Bogota.  Once we reached Padang Bai I decided to go back to Sanur and relax there for a few days.  As Janet and Amelie live there they suggested a hostel to stay at, Little Pond but it was full so I found another one called Yulia I.  The room was more expensive that I wanted but I bargained them down to 140,000 Rp if didn’t include the breakfast.  I’ve arranged to meet Janet and Amelie on Tuesday night for a few drinks and to see a local cover band.

Hungry I headed to Street Café for a quick bite to eat before crashing while trying to listen to the football commentary on the internet. 

Monday 7th May – I want it – but it’s not mine
At 7.30 a.m. I got a knock on the door of my room.  I opened it to find a guy holding what looked like a perfect breakfast.  I had to tell him it wasn’t mine but I wanted it so badly.  I think they did it deliberately to rub in the fact that I got a cheaper rate by not including breakfast with my room.  Nasty.

After getting more and much needed sleep I took a walk to find a place to get my laundry done and came across a parade.  I have no idea what the parade was for but it was enchanting with very relaxing music.  Abbot 30 minutes later another similar parade came by.  I think they were Buddhists but I can’t be sure.


I spent the rest oi]f my day writing my blog and went to Little Bird for some food in the evening.  A day of rest after so many days travelling.

Tuesday 8th May – Kenny Rodgers Followed By Iron Maiden?
I’m really struggling to sleep in the heat and desperately want a proper night of rest.  Most of today I did nothing.  I went to Green Leaf for lunch and was entertained by some very strange background music.  First it was covers of Bob Marley done in a lounge style, then Benny Hill theme tune as played on Spanish guitar and next the snooker theme from the BBC, again on Spanish guitar.

Needing to make plans to hit Java and see the rest of Indonesia I accidently discovered that Perama do a four-day trip to Yogyakarta which stops at the Ijen Plateau before continuing to Cemoro Lawang for one night allowing me to do the Gunung Bromo sunrise trip.  This is perfect.  Ijen Plateau looks special and Gunung Bromo is supposed to an amazing sight and high on my list of places to visit.  My sister Orla has raved about it and insisted that I go there and follow in the 15-year-old footsteps of her and her husband Damien.  Tomorrow I will go to the Perama Office and book this tour.

At 8.30 p.m. I headed to Lazer’s to meet Amelie and Janet.  I had a great night.  The band was excellent and they played a huge, if rather eclectic, variety of music.  The Beatles, Kenny Rodgers and (upon my request) Iron Maiden at the very end.  When they played The Gambler I resisted the temptation to do my dance.  After plenty of drinks, music and pool their friend Michelle took me the happening club in Sanur – Zoo.  Well if this is happening place I’d like to see the quite place.  It’s probably a collapsed building.  But we had a dance and made the most if it.  I made it to bed at about 2 a.m.

Wednesday 9th May – Bromo Booked
I didn’t stir until noon and my first task for the day was a new bag.  The one I have been using has been a loyal servant.  I got in Thailand eight years ago for the hefty sum of £1.50 and it has lasted me ever since on any travels I have made.  But over the previous three months it has started to show its signs of age and various zips and straps have ceased to function.  A shop around the corner supplied the perfect replacement for 150,000 Rp (his starting price was 450,000 Rp!).  Content with my purchase I bid a sad farewell to my old bag as I placed it in the bin of my hotel room.

Next I made my way to the Perama office to book my Ijen-Bromo-Yogyakarta tour but with no success.  It needs a minimum of two people and I’m the only one that wants to go.  So I have now booked a very similar tour, it just doesn’t include the Ijen part.  It leaves from Kuta in Bali, stops in Cemoro Lawang for one night for the Bromo sunrise trip and then it’s straight to Yogyakarta.  I’m not bothered about missing out on Ijen as it wasn’t even on my list of things to do until I saw it mentioned on the Perama website.

Feeling very content and excited about my next adventure in Indonesia I walked along the beach, stopped into a café for food and then went for dessert – a Magnum.  It was a hot day today and it was perfect for an ice-cream.  I opened it and within seconds I watched in horror as it slide from its stick.  I grabbed at it but to no avail – it fell as if in slow motion to the ground.  I stared at the chocolate mess on the footpath and almost cried.  It was my treat for the day and it was gone – not even one taste.  Dejected and mournful I slouched my way back to the hotel before going to Little Bird for a coffee and ending the evening and my last night in Bali with food at the Street Café.

Tomorrow I move on and the next adventure begins in Java.

No comments:

Post a Comment